Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Anatomy scan disappointment...

I can't remember the last time I was this nervous. I had been laying awake since 5 AM hoping and praying that anatomically the baby would be healthy. I tossed back and forth about whether we would be having a baby boy or girl. In my dreams we were having a boy, but lately I've been feeling a "girl" instinct. I was so excited to finally get done, wake Jason up, and head to the hospital.

Our anxiety continued as we waited and waited in the waiting room. The nurse took me back and took my blood pressure, which was fine. Then she had me empty my bladder which I thought was weird, but I did anyway. She took my weight and I was up 4 pounds. We then went to an exam room with no sonogram machine... she realized this was a mistake and took us to the right room... We waited and waited some more.

The doctor came in... fortunately I understand dry humor, otherwise I would've thought he was being a dick. I had to depart with my belly button stud because the baby's butt was right underneath it. I was immediately thrilled to see a beautiful round head, big belly, and the spine. The doctor pointed out the bones in the arms and legs, the hemispheres of the brain, and the kidneys. My fluid levels look fine too so I'm not at risk for placenta previa.

He asked us what we thought we were having. Of course I'm clueless, but Jason has been saving "boy" since before we even conceived. The doctor tried to get a good shot, but the baby wasn't quite in position. He said he would come back to it. Well he did. Again. And again. The baby was moving but its legs were together. Figures. I had the strongest feeling that this would happen to us.

Ultimately, he said he was 75% sure it was a girl because he could not see any outer plumbing. He said he'd bet $5 on it, but not $50. That didn't leave us feeling very reassured. He also mentioned that our baby will likely be on the 7 pound side as opposed to 10 pounds. He recommended that we go to a commercial ultrasound clinic for another look.

So, next Wednesday we'll be back in the same anxiety- provoking situation. I was able to book us a regular ultrasound at a clinic about 45 minutes way. Until then, we won't be buying any pink stuff

No comments:

Post a Comment